Montana State Parks & Recreation Board
The Montana State Parks & Recreation Board sets policies and provides direction for the management, protection, conservation and preservation for Montana’s 54 state parks and associated recreational resources.
Meeting Dates & Agendas
Next Board Meeting
- Tour - Wednesday, October 19, 2016
- Painted Rocks and Fort Owen state parks and the Daly Mansion
- Meeting - Thursday, October 20, 2016
- Bitterroot River Inn
- Hamilton, MT 59840
- Live stream will be available on our website the day of the meeting.
- Live stream is not available at this location.
August 18, 2016 Meeting Agenda
- 8:30 a.m. Call to Order and Pledge of Allegiance
- 8:35 a.m. Administrative Items:
- Approval of June 15, 2016 Meeting Minutes
- Approval of June 15, 2016 Board Expenses
- Draft 2017 Board Schedule – Discussion
- Board Member Reports
- Director's Report/Staff Report
- 9:30 a.m. Public Comment for items not on agenda
- 9:45 a.m. Donation Policy Update, FY16 Year End and FY 17 Overview - Informational (Sue Daly)
- 10:00 a.m. Land Reconciliation Update – Informational (Paul Sihler)
- 10:10 a.m. North Shore WMA/State Park Agricultural Lease - Approval (Dave Landstrom) Cover Sheet
- 10:25 a.m. BREAK
- 10:35 a.m. Biennial Fee Rule – Proposed (Melissa Baker) Cover Sheet, Draft Biennial Fee Rule
- 10:50 a.m. Strategic Plan Implementation Update - Informational (Chas Van Genderen) Cover Sheet, Strategic Plan Implementation
- 11:10 a.m. Ackley Lake Lease Renewal - Final (Melissa Baker) Cover Sheet, Ackley Lake Site Map
- 11:30 a.m. First Peoples Buffalo Jump Prairie Dog Management Plan – Informational (John Taillie) Cover Sheet
- 11:50 a.m. Lewis & Clark Caverns Concession Lease Term – Approval (Melissa Baker) Cover Sheet
- 12:00 p.m. Approval of Capital over $5,000 - Final (Tom Reilly) Cover Sheet
- 12:10 p.m. Recreational Trails Program (RTP) Grants - Final (Tom Reilly/Beth Shumate) Cover Sheet, RTP Tentative Grant Awards
- 12:20 p.m. Parks Foundation – Informational
- 12:25 p.m. Adjourn
- Note: The Board may take action on all matters specifically noticed on this agenda. Times may vary as much as one hour – earlier or later.
- The Department ensures its meetings are fully accessible to persons with disabilities. If special accommodations are needed, contact the Parks Division at (406) 444-3750.
- Patrick Doyle
- Marketing and Communications Manager
- Montana State Parks
- (406) 444-3818
- (406) 422-9809 c
About the Board
The Montana State Parks & Recreation Board is a citizen-led board appointed by the governor that consists of five members, one member from each district in the state. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks’ Director, Jeff Hagener, serves as secretary to the board.
To find out more about the board, see the Montana State Parks & Recreation Board information sheet (200 KB)
District 1 (Northwest)
Diane Conradi, Whitefish
- (406) 863-9681
Conradi is a partner at Conradi Anderson PLLC, a law firm representing businesses, individuals, and specializing in conservation real estate issues. She co-founded the Whitefish Legacy Partners, an organization focused on community vision for conservation, recreation and education.
Jeff Welch, Livingston
- (406) 586-2280
Welch is the president and founder of Mercury CSC in Bozeman. He is an avid angler with a deep interest in the outdoors and recreation.
Mary Sexton, Choteau (Vice Chair)
- (406) 590-2751
Sexton is a former Teton County Commissioner and former Director of the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation. She has a longstanding interest in land management and tourism.
Doug Smith, Dagmar
- (406) 765-3411 w
- (406) 483-5431
Smith is a local government planner with Sheridan and Daniels Counties. He is on the board of the Great Northern Development Corporation and the Sheridan County Museum Board.
Tom Towe, Billings (Chairman)
- (406) 248-7337
Towe is an attorney in Billings and a former state legislator. He has held a long term commitment to preserving Montana history and improving our parks. He is a founding member of ‘Our Montana’ an organization focused on conserving and protecting scenic, archaeological, historic and natural resources.