Montana State Parks & Recreation Board
The Montana State Parks & Recreation Board sets policies and provides direction for the management, protection, conservation and preservation for Montana’s state parks and associated recreational resources.
Meeting Dates & Agendas
Next Board Meeting
- Tuesday, February 20, 2018
- Travelers' Rest State Park
- Lolo, MT 59487
- Live audio stream will be available on our website the day of the meeting.
- Live audio stream not available for this meeting.
October 24, 2017
- 9:00 – 10:30 a.m.
- Overview of Parks Budgets – Fiscal Year Operating, Capital, Recreation Programs, and Funds Balances – Dustin Temple
- Role and Function of the Board – FWP Legal (Becky Dockter/Zach Zipfel)
- Board Meeting Protocol – Angie Grove
- Travel reimbursements and related Board processes – Tom Reilly
Board Meeting Agenda
- 10:45 a.m. Call to Order and Pledge of Allegiance
- 10:50 a.m. Administrative Items:
- Introduction of Board Members
- Approval of July 6, 2017 Meeting Minutes
- Anticipated Meeting Schedule
- Decision on Board Vice-Chair
- 11:15 a.m. Public Comment for items not on agenda
- 11:30 a.m. Introductions/Orientation
- 12:00 p.m. Lt. Governor Cooney - LUNCH
- 1:00 p.m. Continuation of State Parks Introductions/Orientation – Tom Reilly
- 2:00 p.m. Recognition of State Parks Committee/Staff – National Association of State Parks Director’s (NASPD) Conference – Missoula, 2017 Cover Sheet
- 2:10 p.m. Parks-In-Focus Initiative – Update
- 2:20 p.m. Performance Audit – Update
- 2:30 p.m. Montana State Parks Foundation – Coby Gierke, Executive Director
- 2:45 p.m. Possible Topics for the Next/Future Board Meetings
- 3:00 p.m. Adjourn
- Note: The Board may take action on all matters specifically noted on this agenda. Times may vary as much as one hour – earlier or later.
- The Department ensures its meetings are fully accessible to persons with disabilities. If special accommodations are needed, contact the Parks Division at (406) 444-3750.
- Pat Doyle
- Marketing and Communications Manager
- Montana State Parks
- (406) 444-3818
- (406) 422-9809 c
About the Board
The Montana State Parks & Recreation Board is a citizen-led board appointed by the governor that consists of five members, one member from each district in the state. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks’ Director, Martha Williams, serves as secretary to the board.
To find out more about the board, see the Montana State Parks & Recreation Board information sheet (200 KB)
District 1 (Northwest)
Angie Grove, Helena (Chair)
Angie Grove has 28 years with the Montana Legislative Audit Division, working specifically with the State Parks Division.
District 2 (Southwest)
Jeff Welch, Livingston
Jeff Welch is the president and founder of MERCURYcsc in Bozeman.
Mary Sheehy Moe
District 3 (North Central)
Mary Sheehy Moe, Great Falls
Mary Sheehy Moe had a distinctive career in education, most recently serving as the Deputy Commissioner for Two-Year Education for the Montana University System, and served as a State Legislator.
District 4 (North East)
Betty Stone, Glasgow
- 406-228-8173 h
- 406-263-8213 c
Betty Stone has been the manager at the Cottonwood Inn for 28 years and a co-owner since 2004. She also serves as past chair and director of Two Rivers Economic Growth, development director of Missouri River Country and is on the Montana Lodging and Hospitality Association Board.
District 5 (South East)
Scott Brown, Billings
- (406) 248-7257
Scott Brown is the owner of The Base Camp in Helena and Billings and is an avid outdoor enthusiast.