Plans & reports
Thoughtful planning developed with public input and staff expertise gives us valuable guidance in administering parks and recreation lands.
Enhancing Heritage Resources in Montana State Parks
In 2016, Montana State Parks developed a system-wide heritage resource plan with extensive staff and stakeholder input. The plan addresses the unique challenges and opportunities of heritage sites in the park system, including the seven National Historic Landmarks as well as 25 National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) sites and NRHP-eligible sites. The final strategic plan was approved by the Montana State Parks & Recreation Board on February 17, 2017.
The heritage resources strategic plan:
- Evaluates strengths, challenges, options, responses of internal/external stakeholders, and effectiveness of the heritage resource program and its existing capacity.
- Assesses and prioritize the most critical heritage resource needs and issues in state parks consistent with the park classification system.
- Develops direction for heritage resource program priorities for management across the park system as well as recommendations for improving statewide coordination and management.
Stakeholder engagement was an important part of developing the Heritage Resources Strategic Plan. Public feedback, received from a survey, workshops, and comments on the draft plan, is reflected throughout the key findings, goals and recommendations.
Contact Rachel Reckin, Heritage Resources Program Manager, 444-3756, Rachel.Reckin@mt.gov
A management plan directs the long-range development and management of a state park by defining broad policy and program guidance. This guidance is essential to managers and staff, and is of value to those organizations and individuals who have a substantial interest in the state park system.
Management plans address visitor services, public safety, park operations, recreation opportunities, resource conservation, and education efforts over a 10 year period.
- Fish Creek State Park Draft Management Plan ( 3.5 MB)
- Fish Creek State Park – Draft Management Plan Public Comment Summary (February 2014) ( 277 KB)
- Fish Creek Public Scoping Summary ( 342 KB)
Bannack State Park Management Plan ( 1.34 MB)
Cooney State Park Management Plan 2012 ( 2.5 MB)
Flathead Lake Islands Management Plan, 2009 ( 1.16 MB)
Data analysis provides interesting insight into parks and recreation management, tourism, marketing, and land and visitor use management.
- 2018: Resident Desires for MT State Park Amenities ( 595 KB)
- 2010 Economic Impact Survey - Full Report, 56 pages ( 1.4 MB)
Summary of 2010 Economic Impact Survey - 10 pages (405 KB)
- 2006-2007 Water-Based State Parks Visitor Survey ( 69 KB)
- State of Montana State Parks – 2019 Annual Report ( 2 MB)
- Smith River State Park and River Corridor Visitor Use Annual Report 2018 ( 1.7 MB)
Montana State Parks Visitation Estimates
Montana State Parks & Recreation Planner
P.O. Box 200701
Helena, MT 59620-0701