Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks

COVID-19 Response: Social distancing and other protocols are in place for the safety of our visitors and staff.
Learn More »

image of Montana State Parks logo


Photo of two tents near the lake. Photo of grandmother and kids in a tent. Photo of two boys outside of a tipi. Photo of a mom and son hugging inside of a tent.


Extend your stay at a Montana State Park when the sun goes down.

Lewis & Clark Caverns State Park

Big Arm State Park

Camping in Montana State Parks is a great way to get outdoors and enjoy time with family and friends. Planning your adventure just got easier! You can now book your campsite reservation online, or by phone  at 1-855-922-6768. 

Twenty of Montana's 55 state parks have more than 500 campsites to reserve. It's easy! Book in advance and take the stress out of your trip, leaving more time to explore Montana's nature, culture and recreation heritage. 

Campsites are reservable from the third Friday in May through the third Sunday in September. You can make reservations six months in advance of your stay, and no later than two days prior to your arrival at most parks, up to one day in advance at Whitefish Lake, Beavertail Hill, Placid Lake, Salmon Lake, Lewis & Clark Caverns, Black Sandy and Tongue River Reservoir state parks. 

For a unique camping experience try one of Montana State Parks' cabins, yurts, or tipis, or a hike-in/bike-in site.


Check out Montana State Parks camping reservations Frequently Asked Questions and Reservation Policy.

Please email us if you have questions, concerns or comments about the reservation program.

Nonresident Entrance Pass
photo of 2018 Nonresident Entrance Pass

Out-of-state residents can purchase a Nonresident Entrance Pass which allows free entrance and discounted camping fees. The 12-month pass costs $50 /vehicle and is valid for one year from month of issue. You can purchase the pass through the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Online Licensing Service, or at any FWP office.  See locations 

A 7-Day Nonresident Entrance Pass, which costs $35, is an option for a shorter time period. 7-Day Passes are available at the parks. The pass is good for 7 consecutive days starting from the purchase date.


Firewood–Buy It Where You Burn It

Help stop the spread of invasive pests and diseases. Learn more at and Montana's DNRC website.

Firewood Alert poster
  • Leave firewood at home – buy local firewood at or near your destination, or collect firewood on site when permitted.
  • Buy or collect only what you’ll need, and burn it all completely by the end of your stay.
  • If you have already moved firewood, use it immediately. Do not take it home with you, and do not leave any excess firewood on site.
RV Information

RV Dump Site Locations (RV Information 40.51 KB

  • Beginning at 9:00 am TODAY.
  • navigation button
  • navigation button
  • News
  • Events
  • Volunteer
  • button linking to public notices
  • Learn with us
  • Protect and Respect
  • fee button
  • For Kids
  • Your Safety
  • Americorps
  • Link to Recreation Programs
  • Parks & Recreation Board button
  • Partners
  • image of nonresident park entrance pass and link to online licensing service
  • image and link to purchase a license plate
Web Template Design MT Office of Tourism