Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks

COVID-19 Response: Social distancing and other protocols are in place for the safety of our visitors and staff.
Learn More »

image of Montana State Parks logo

Protect and Respect


Protect and Respect

Special Use and Commercial Use Permits

Montana State Parks are wonderful sites for special uses – family reunions, weddings, club gatherings and other events. You can also conduct certain business activities. A Special Use or Commercial Use permit is required to help ensure everyone's safety and protect park resources.

<< Back to Protect and Respect

Special Use Permit

A Special Use Permit is required for non-commercial activities including but not limited to:

  • facility rentals, for example: shelters, pavilions, or meeting rooms
  • group use or events of more than 30 people
  • special events, for example:
    • wedding parties
    • family reunions
    • fishing contests
    • educational activities
    • research activities
    • geocaching events

To Apply

Complete a Special Use Permit application (pdf icon and link 125 KB) and mail to the FWP Regional Office in the area where you wish to conduct the use. See application for addresses and other contact information.

The following document contains fees and management policy that governs special use of Montana State Parks.

Commercial Use Permits

To conduct commercial use at a Montana State Park, you must obtain a Commercial Use Permit. Type of permit, fees, conditions, and availability vary based on the type of commercial use. For details, contact the Park Manager where you would like to conduct the activity.

Commercial Use Permits are required for commercial activities, including, but not limited to the following categories:

A Fishing Contest Permit is required for commercial fishing contests. Please contact Fish, Wildlife & Parks Fisheries Division.

For administrative policy governing commercial use in Montana State Parks and on other FWP land, see:



To learn more about Special Use and Commercial Use permits, please contact the Park Manager where you would like to conduct the activity or State Park headquarters:

  • Montana State Parks Headquarters
  • PO Box 200701
  • 1420 East 6th Avenue
  • Helena, MT 59620
  • 406-444-3364
  • email
  • David Landstrom
  • Region 1
  • Regional Park Manager
  • 490 North Meridian Rd
  • Kalispell, MT 59901
  • 406-751-4574
  • email
  • Chet Crowser
  • Region 2
  • Regional Park Manager
  • 3201 Spurgin Road
  • Missoula, MT 59804
  • 406-542-5517
  • email
  • Matt Marcinek
  • Region 3
  • Regional Park Manager
  • 1400 South 19th
  • Bozeman, MT 59718
  • 406-994-3552
  • email
  • John Taillie
  • Region 4
  • Regional Park Manager
  • 4600 Giant Springs Rd
  • Great Falls, MT 59405
  • 406-454-5859
  • email
  • Doug Habermann
  • Region 5
  • Regional Park Manager
  • 2300 Lake Elmo Dr
  • Billings, MT 59105
  • 406-247-2954
  • email

<< Back to Protect and Respect

  • Beginning at 9:00 am TODAY.
  • navigation button
  • navigation button
  • News
  • Events
  • Volunteer
  • button linking to public notices
  • Learn with us
  • Protect and Respect
  • fee button
  • For Kids
  • Your Safety
  • Americorps
  • Link to Recreation Programs
  • Parks & Recreation Board button
  • Partners
  • image of nonresident park entrance pass and link to online licensing service
  • image and link to purchase a license plate
Web Template Design MT Office of Tourism