Recreational Trails Program
Recreational trails provide benefits for all of us that include: public health, economic, transportation, and local community pride and identity.The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) provides funds to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities in Montana.
Montana State Parks administers the Recreational Trails Program (RTP), a federally funded grants program that supports Montana’s trails.
The RTP funds come from the Federal Highway Trust Fund, and represent a portion of the motor fuel excise tax collected from nonhighway recreational fuel use: fuel used for off-highway recreation by snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, off-highway motorcycles, and off-highway light trucks.
RTP applicants can include federal, tribal, state, county or city agencies, private associations and clubs. Examples of eligible projects include: urban trail development, basic front and backcountry trail maintenance, restoration of areas damaged by trail use, development of trailside facilities, and educational and safety projects related to trails.
Montana State Parks collaborates with the State Trails Advisory Committee to review the RTP applicants each year.
2021 Grant Application Cycle
- The 2021 application cycle will be open from November 2, 2020 through February 1, 2021.
- The application will be available via WebGrants at funding.mt.gov.
- Virtual trainings for interested applicants will be held during the application cycle. Meeting information for upcoming grant training sessions can be found here.
Application Forms & Guidelines
- 2021 RTP Application Guidelines ( 1.2 MB)
- 2021 Recreational Trails Program Scoring Criteria ( 38 KB)
- RTP Eligible Projects ( 45 KB)
- RTP Environmental Analysis Form ( 69 KB)
- RTP Categorical Exclusion Form ( 241 KB)
- RTP Forest Service Categorical Exclusion Form ( 180 KB)
- How to Calculate Match ( 107 KB)
- Recreational Trails Program Glossary of Terms ( 35 KB)
- Direct and Indirect Costs Guidelines ( 85 KB)
- Snowmobile & Cross-Country Ski Clubs Grooming Information ( 55 KB)
2020 Grant Application Cycle - CLOSED
2020 RTP Grant Awards
2020 RTP Grant Proposals
- 2020 RTP Grant Proposals ( 150 KB)
The Montana State Trails Advisory Committee held its Funding Decision meeting on April 16 and April 17, 2020. The meeting was open to the public.
Recreation Trails Program Manager
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
PO Box 200701
Helena, MT 59620